Tips to Split Oversized Outlook PST Files in Smaller Parts Via Manual Solution
With the advancement and expansion of the technology. It captures crucial space in the life of every people. The need of technology is consistently increasing day by day. Every business organizations aspire to deployed the latest technology to facilitates the maximum ease and delivers more productivity. To continue the same, Microsoft has launched the Outlook as one of the premium email client to meet the requirement of business peoples. It provides the services such as emails, contacts, calendaring, managing appointments etc. Thus it works like a personal information manager or virtual personal assistant. Read to know how to split large PST files in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007.
Moving into more technical aspects of Outlook. It creates PST or Personal Storage table to store mailbox data. In the previous version of Outlook i.e. 2000, 2003 and 2007. There was limitation to store the data. When the mailbox data exceeds the maximum limit. Then in such case you are not able to access Outlook and it performance also depletes constantly. So to overcome this type of, you need to split oversized PST files into smaller parts. But you are thinking about “How to Split Large PST Files into Smaller Parts”. There is no need to worry. We will discuss the same in coming sections.
Reasons to Split Up a .pst file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
There are multiple reasons due to which Outlook user need to split Outlook PST files into smaller parts. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Corruption of Outlook Mailbox: As you already know that there is limited storage space in the old version of Outlook. Then there might high possibility that Outlook get corrupted if the PST file exceeds the default size. So to prevent the corruption, Splitting of large Outlook PST files into smaller parts is recommended.
- Slows Down Outlook Performance: As the size of Outlook PST file continuously increasing, when data in the mailbox at the verge of the overflow, then creates severe problem such as Outlook unable to sync with the server. As a result of which you can’t access new emails. In most of the cases it is seen that user are unable to login in Outlook too. Therefore to safeguard data from irrelevant loss. Outlook user require to split big PST file into multiple smaller parts of same size.
- Effective Management of Outlook Mailbox: The management of small quantity of goods is very simple and easy. Similarly the management of small PST files is very essential for the increased productivity. So, to effectively manage the Outlook PST, one should break large PST files into smaller files.
How to Split Oversized PST Files of Outlook Manually? – Is this Feasible
As far any professional solution is concerned. There is no such provided by the Microsoft. Instead of this, there are three different techniques using which you can split Outlook archive PST files
- Import/Export Technique
- Move to New Folder
- Archive Outlook Mailbox
These are 3 different techniques using which Outlook user can split PST files without any software.
Technique #1 Using Import & Export Mechanism
Outlook provides the import and export functionality which can easily implemented to split large PST files in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. Follow the below mentioned steps:
- Start Microsoft Outlook application on your system.
- Go to File tab in the Menu >> Account Settings and again select Account Settings.
- In the next dialog box Go to Data Files tab & then, click Add button.
- Then after a new dialog box open up with option to create new Outlook data file. Enter name and location to save the newly created Outlook PST file.
- Click on OK to close the Account settings
- Now, you need to export the data of the Outlook PST file to newly created file using the Import / Export wizard.
Technique #2:Move Mailbox Data to New Folder
- Open Outlook account in your system.
- Then, go to File>> New >> Outlook Data file.
- A dialog box named as New Outlook Data file will appear. Choose PST file and then Click Ok button.
- A new dialog box to Create Personal folder will appear on the screen.
- Give name to this PST file and select folder or subfolder to export to this newly created Outlook PST file.
- Click Edit, then select Move to Folder option. After that, a Move Items dialog box will appear, select the New button.
- A Create New Folder window will appear. Provide a name for this folder.
- Then select option to move this folder to newly created Outlook PST file
- Now, move all the new PST file data in the newly created folder. Finally, click on OK button.
Technique #3: Archive Outlook Mailbox Data to Save Storage Space
- Start Microsoft Outlook email application on your system
- Select the Outlook data files from which you need to move data to newly created Outlook PST file
- Select archive Outlook PST file using the File Tab give in the menu bar.
- A new dialog will open up and then you have to choose archive this folder and subfolder.
- From the available list, select the folder which you want to export.
- Next, there will also option to select the date range to archive items older than. Apply this based on your requirement.
- Now, Browse the new storage location and name the new PST file. Click OK button
- A new PST file is created on your preferred storage location.
Drawbacks of Manual Solution to Split Large PST Files into Small Data Files
The free methods to split Outlook PST files are never safe to use. As it may leads to severe data loss. Some of the demerits of manual method
- Any wrong step would leads to severe data loss
- Very time consuming
- Cannot applied to split bulk Outlook data files
- More complex process.
Now you are thinking that if the manual solution associated with limitations then how to split PST file in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016. There is no need to take stress as we will discuss automated solution to divide Outlook PST files without any complications and data loss.
Automated Solution to Split Large PST Files in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016
The manual solution comprises of 3 different methods to split large Outlook PST files. But we can’t neglect the downfall of manual solution. As it can lead to major data loss. So the need of automated solution arises. To fulfil the need, one can prefer to use SysTools Outlook PST Splitter software to split large PST files into smaller parts. The premium features of the software is described below.
- Split Outlook Data File item i.e. Emails, Contacts, Calendars etc.
- 4 unique option to split large PST file by Size, Date, Year & Folder
- Support to Split Corrupt or Damaged Outlook PST files
- Compatible with ANSI and UNICODE PST file of Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & so on.
Also Read: How to Recover Deleted Data From Hard Drive?
The Last Few Words
Since far we have discussed the manual solution techniques to split Outlook PST files into smaller parts without any dependency. We also study the limitation of manual solution. But for splitting Outlook PST files without any complications then it is recommended to go with automated solution such as SysTools PST splitter as explained in the above section. Rest is your wish which method you want to implement to split large PST files in Outlook.